Monday, October 12, 2009

Trip to India - OCI problems

Trip Details:

Depart from Newark, NJ and arrive Hyderabad on 4th October via Heathrow

Depart from Hyderabad and arrive Newark, NJ on 24th October via Heathrow


OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) problems


Landed at new Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (1 year old), Hyderabad on October 4th as scheduled. Entire journey from Newark to Hyderabad (via Heathrow) went without a glitch. My problems started as soon as I faced an immigration officer.


I recently (few months ago) got OCI card. At the same time, Indian Consulate placed a stamp on my passport an OCI stamp (I will return to this in a moment).


As my US passport set to expire by October 31st, 2009 and my return journey is scheduled for 24th of October, I didn't want to take any chances and applied for new US passport and received it around 22nd of September. On my journey to India, I carried, new US passport and my OCI card (I completely forgot about the OCI stamp on my old passport, still valid off course).


The immigration officer at Hyderabad airport soon realized that I don't have the necessary OCI stamp on my US passport. He took us to a senior immigration officer and he mentioned that I will be given 2 weeks of temporary visa. If I wish to stay longer than that period of time I will have to produce the passport with the OCI stamp. My trip is for 3 weeks and I mentioned to him that I will be getting my old passport via courier. In actuality the officer listened to my wife and spoke to my wife in native tongue (Telugu), rather than to me. Even though I spoke in Telugu and English to him, but I took no offense of the matter.


The immigration officer sent us into a back office where they have staff working on resolving such matters. The officers working in that area was supposed to give me a Temporary visa, without fee. In the conversation, I understood that not long ago they have given such a visa to a lady in different circumstances. All they have to do is to open the letter they have prepared earlier, which they did readily, and edit it to my situation. This took them more than hour and half. Immediately I was reminded of what makes India, India, it's the abundance of people.


There are two computers in that room. One officer started working on my case. He opened the letter in the computer started editing the matter. One person was helping him out in filling the details in to the letter. There is another officer (so I gather), working on another computer, surrounded by 3 people, two on-lookers, one helper. I and my wife sat eagerly waiting on a sofa and chair cramped next to the two desks. We could gather from their conversations (in native language, Telugu), the difficulties they were having in doing their job. The officer knows how to edit word document, but doesn't know how to spell some of the words in English, therefore he relies on another person standing next to him (don't know his title). I could see the officers playing with grammar, font size, margins, god knows how long.


By now, you might have guessed, the officer who is working on my case doesn’t know how to type, therefore that adds more time and drama to my situation. All of a sudden the second officer came to my case officer's desk and started editing his document. I realized little later that the printer is hooked to only this computer; therefore he had to use this computer, which means delay in my case process.


Even though I don't believe in god, surely some super natural powers intervened (Note to theists, please take this as tongue-in-cheek comment). By this time all our fellow passengers took their baggage and cleared customs. The airport officers realized that our bags weren't cleared and they sent one of their employees to find out the matter. He soon appeared at the back office, and inquired about our matter. This seemed to have put some pressure and urgency in the officers who were working on my case. Soon, my case officer asked a senior officer nearby to look through my document and verify. He got on to my case and started taking his own sweet time.


I have to state something in support of the officers who are working in that area. Surely they have given tasks which they are poor at accomplishing. It was around 5am they started to work on my case, they probably didn't have much of sleep all night. I don't mind slowness, because of being tired. But, majority of the delay is because of sheer incompetency of the system. These officers shouldn't be hired to do this kind of job to begin with. You can get far more qualified people to do this job. However, due to either seniority or some type of bureaucracy Indian government placed such incompetent people do these jobs.


About 45 minutes after the airport management staff came to inquire about our situation, I got my temporary visa. As soon as we got out of the airport, we made overseas call and asked my parents to courier my passport. BTW... this is not the end of my passport story.....

9 comments:

Shailesh said...

So you had bad experience in India. You didn't had valid visa and they took their time.
Do you know what would have happened in your beloved, highly educated, computer literate, English expert United State Of America. they would have simply thrown you out of their country.
Indian were very simpathatic to you so how about THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDIA.

Praveen said...

Thanks for your comment Shailesh.

Why do people always assume things. I simply pointed out the experience I faced with, I never compared it with USA or any other country. I know USCIS has lot of issues of their own (I faced fair share of them, when filed Green Card for my wife) and there are so many websites always talk about it. This doesn't justify what I or other people like me have to put up with. Stupidity and incompetency has no boundaries.

I love India, but I am not one of those people who love India blindly. Other than this and few other minor incidents, I had good time in India. Yes, India is better than before and getting better. But, in my opinion India has long way to go, whatever the reasons may be.

Keep visiting http://manamantha.blogspot.com

Lyn said...

I found it an interesting story of how things are dealt with in another country. The saddest statement in the story though was that you do not believe in God. Unbelief does not change the truth of His existence, but it will affect your eternity. I hope you will read the link and consider it carefully.

Anonymous said...

Im sure that most government departments do not have adequate knowlege or the ability to show empathy to accurately analyse a situation & focus towards making a decision to resolve the issue. They prefer creating more issues & passing on the buck rather than finding a solution & resolving the issue. When you make a mistake the only way they will deal with it is to give you a run around & then eventually do what could have been done in the first place. That way they feel they are justifying their position & decision which is a total lack of professionalism.

Anonymous said...

Shailesh,
You should first note that Yogi is an OCI holder which means His new passport + OCI card + immigration records already verified him as genuine and there is no need for him to get temp visa.This is Indian bureaucracy.I am not a proud Indian anyway..

Yogi,
Thanks for sharing this.I just want to request you to re-consider your current state atheism. There is one God - Undeniable fact.You will not find unless you seek Him.

zak said...

In India things works in a different way , nothing is straight forward, you have to be lucky to get through safely in any government office. I had similar experience before and was allowed to pass through easily by the immigration authority. on the other hand I also have experiences of demanding bribery by high end customs officers despite me telling them my political influence and backup power. So i can imagine if you have no such credibility then it sucks..welcome to India..

Anonymous said...

I see that you have pointed out the incompetency of the staff... but please take some time to appreciate what they did to enjoy your time even though the mistake was on your part.

also the comment of them listening to ur wife and not you has a subtle reference to something I wish you had not written about.

Anonymous said...

I had the same issue my U visa was in old passport , I had carried by OCI card with which full information about the Visa, still immigration gave me a tough time. Ultimately I shelled out $40 and got a temporary permit. My question is why do a OCI card separately if you still need the visa in the old passport. Coming to our friends in this blog, when you a get US green card, only the valid card is enough to make an entry. There is no of a visa on the Indian Passport. So Sirs this is a strange predicament with India. So lets face facts in India and face it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. We were turned away at the British Airways ticket counter at O Hare, Chicago for this reason of not carrying the old passports with the U-Visa sticker. However it looks like the BA people were not current in their information since as of Jan 15, 2015 this requirement of carrying the old passports has been removed.

Let me say something about this moron Shailesh you has posted above some derogatory comments about the USA. It seems motivated more by envy and perhaps anger due to some old visa problems he/she may have had with the USIS.

Indian bureaucracy is pure red tape and in this case it is red tape to extort more money from us who live abroad. Why put a sticker in a passport and insist of it being produced? Are these bureaucrats mentally retarded? Don't they know that passports expire? This leads us to the only conclusion that these bureaucrats are not retarded but have done this explicitly to make more money via fees.

Thankfully this requirement has been lifted now. See